Skip to content
Navigation in reader
- There are no visible cues hinting at ability to navigate from one expanded post to the next (or previous).
- Navigating back to the post list (using back button), and then to next post makes it slow, and click heavy.
- Keyboard shortcuts work, but there are again no visible cues indicating even their presence.
- No visible hints that any keyboard shortcuts exist
- Keyboard shortcut discoverability is solely by trial and error, or ‘Google’
- Traditionally, pressing ‘?’ (in, say, GMail or Pocket) brings up relevant shortcuts modal. Doesn’t work in reader.
- One suggested hint could be to place a keyboard icon next to the help (?) icon, at the bottom, in the left navigation bar.
- Navigation shortcuts
k navigate to next/previous post as expected. However, the more ‘lay’ user-friendly
right-arrow versions don’t.
esc key works the same as browser’s back button – navigating back through history stack (i.e. going back to last viewed post).
- A better (expected) implementation would be to jump out of expanded-post view to the posts list view, ideally scrolled to the last viewed post.
- Like keyboard shortcut,
l, works as expected. Adding
f as an additional activator would be useful – a lot of platforms use favourite as an alternative to like, and some users may be more behaviourally trained to press
f instead of