Came across my list of startups-to-watch from late 20111, while doing some spring cleaning yesterday. It was interesting to go back and see how the companies had fared over the 2-3 years since.
- Dwolla [CrunchBase]
- Plex (Then: plexapp.com Now: plex.tv) [CrunchBase]
- Snapp.tv ( Then: angel.co/snapp-tv-1 Now: snapp.info )
- Simplenote2 [Acquired by Automattic. CrunchBase]
- Singly [Acquired by Appcelerator. CrunchBase]
- CardFlick [Shut down. CrunchBase]
- Persway.me [Shutdown, founder joined Google. CrunchBase]
- Motorola Corvair [Not a company, more a product. Sank.]
The list mostly conforms to my 3 key areas of interest in startups in 2011:
- TV interfaces (Plex, Snapp.tv, Corvair)
- Finance – Payment – Money Transfer (Stripe, Dwolla)
- ‘Easier’ Business Card solutions (CardFlick)
1st & 3rd were, and to an extent still are, areas that I looked at starting up something of my own if no good solutions emerged. While my itch on bringing business cards to the digital century has been slightly sated by CamCard, the TV itch continues unabated…
If you made similar lists, do share who was on it, and how they did. Might just make an interesting comparison.
And if you too have an itch to work on solving the TV interface problem, get in touch!